Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rainbow Cupcakes and Pink and Brown Cupcakes

One of my favorite types of cupcakes are rainbow/psychedelic/tie-dye cupcakes. They are so much fun to make, and everyone always loves them. How can anyone NOT love them? Seriously. I've made them a few times, and I had an order this week for a little girl's birthday at the daycare I worked at last semester, so of course I said yes!

Ingredients:
white cake batter (I always use Betty Crocker's White Cake mix. Just prepare the mix according to the back of the box, but make sure it's a plain white cake mix)
5 or 6 different food colors (You can really choose any amount of colors. I used pink, orange, yellow, lime green, blue, and purple)



Directions:

1. Preheat your oven at 350 degrees. Prepare about 20 cupcake papers in a muffin tin.

2.Divide the cake batter evenly into separate bowls. Since I had 6 different food colors, I divided the batter equally between 6 bowls.


3. Stir in the different food coloring into each bowl, making sure no white batter is left.


4. Using a spoon, drop small amounts of each color of the prepared batter, one at a time, into each cupcake paper. Don't try to smooth the batter out with the spoon. It will look much more psychedelic if you let the colors fall where they want inside of the tin. Bake for 15-18 minutes. You want them to be just done enough to where a toothpick comes out clean, but not so done that the bottom layer of color is becoming brown.



5. Let them cool for about 20 minutes, then top each one with light, fluffy, white frosting. Clouds on top of rainbows :)


They also ordered a second batch of cupcakes for her family birthday party on Saturday, and these were simply chocolate cupcakes (Great-Grandma's famous recipe) topped with cream cheese icing (which was divine), but her mom told me to surprise them with a design. So, I went with a pink and brown theme!


Topped with a pink fondant flower with the initial B, and sprinkled with luster dust.

Pink cream cheese frosting and white pearl sprinkles.

I think I might attempt the Mountain Dew cupcakes again tomorrow if I don't decide to take a nap. It's currently 2:08 and I have to deliver the cupcakes at 8:30. However, I have no cake boxes, so I have to get up extra early to search the Pell City Wal-Mart for white cake boxes because the one in Moody had none. Cross your fingers that they have some! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment