Sunday, December 1, 2013

Iron Bowl Eats and Sunday Breakfast - Three Recipes!

In Alabama, everyone has something to do on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Even if you aren't a fan of either team, you still watch Alabama and Auburn play in the Iron Bowl. Yesterday afternoon we had some family and friends over to watch the greatest rivalry in all of football, and while Mom was making some oven-smoked barbecue, I was in charge of the other snacks.

Lately I've been trying to get back to my "clean eating" regimen that I followed very strictly over the summer (and lost a good deal of weight, I might add - definitely something to look into if you are wanting to live a healthier life and feel better). But, with the holidays it's difficult to be so strict because, let me tell you, my Nana cooks literally the best southern food you will ever consume in your lifetime, and she loves cooking for everyone. Her birthday was the day after Thanksgiving this year, but she still devoted her time to make sure that everyone else in our huge family had a wonderful day together. And then there's football and the snacks that come along with that, and none of them are very healthy. So, I'm playing that game of "I'll start my diet tomorrow" at the moment.

I did attempt to make one of my favorite recipes a bit healthier yesterday, though. And when I say "a bit", I mean that there's still a lot of bacon included, I just cut out some of the not-so-healthy stuff and replaced it with something way better for you. My aunt Joy shared a bacon cream cheese dip recipe with me a few years ago, and I've made it so much since then, and I swear it's the best dip you will ever have.

Bacon Cream Cheese Dip
Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup mayo (here I substituted a 5.3 ounce container of plain Greek yogurt; mayo has 100 calories per tablespoon, while the whole container of yogurt has 80 calories and much more protein)
  • 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
  • 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (or a bag of real bacon bits)
  • 1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together all of the cheeses and the mayo/Greek yogurt. Pour into a baking dish that has been coated with non-stick spray. Pour the crushed Ritz crackers and crumbled bacon on top, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve with Ritz crackers or pita crackers, which is what we had yesterday. So easy and so delicious!!


I also have a pretty serious love for sweets, as any of you who have browsed my blog before already know. For some reason, lately I have been dying to make pecan pralines. I have had a recipe for them for so long, and I honestly cannot remember who/where I got it from, but they are the best pralines I've ever had. My fiance, Chad, and I went to New Orleans back in January, and while we were there I bought some pralines at a candy store. These pralines are better. My mom's best friend has a niece who is married to a chef from New Orleans who makes pralines constantly, and she gets some from him every year for Christmas. She told me yesterday that these pralines are better. I thought that was a huge compliment! I had really forgotten how great these were, and I can tell you I will be making more soon.

Pecan Pralines
Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cup pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. bourbon (optional - I omit this usually)
  • **You will need a candy thermometer!

Line your counters or a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper. Clip your candy thermometer to the side of your saucepan, being sure not to let the tip of the thermometer touch the bottom of the saucepan. Put the cream, butter, and brown sugar in the pan on medium/high heat. Monitor the temperature of the candy the whole time. You want the temperature to reach 240 degrees, but not go any higher than that. This is called the "soft ball" stage, meaning that if you place a drop of the candy mixture into a bowl of cold water, it will form a soft, round ball. This is the stage that creates fudge, also. Also while you are cooking, check to see if you need to stir the mixture once or twice. The pans that I use tend to scorch things a bit, so I usually have to stir more frequently than I would have to if I were using my mom's set of cookware. Once the temperature of the candy reaches 240 degrees, remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for about 15 seconds, then add the pecans, vanilla, and (if you're using it) bourbon, and stir until slightly thickened. Drop the mixture onto the parchment paper and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.


I think I ate about three of these yesterday. I literally have no self-control when it comes to pralines. A lot of people might be getting these as part of their Christmas gifts this year! :)


Khaleesi did not appreciate all of the loud football fans and nap-time interruptions yesterday, so she stayed close to me and Chad. Or, as we like to call ourselves, "her people".


I know this is a super long post, but I have one more recipe to share with you all. I didn't exactly follow a recipe for this as much as see a picture of it on Pinterest and say, "I can do that!"

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Crescent Rolls
Ingredients:

  • 1 package of refrigerated crescent rolls (I used the Honey Butter kind because that's what we had in the fridge)
  • 4 eggs, cooked scrambled style
  • about 4 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled, or 1/2 bag of real bacon bits
  • sharp cheddar cheese, cut into slices

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the crescent rolls, and place some of the sliced bits of cheese on the wide end. Top with a spoonful or two of scrambled eggs, then some crumbled bacon. Roll up each crescent and bake for about 15 minutes.


That's it! So easy, but really a new breakfast favorite for me. I've been wanting to make breakfast casserole for a while, but that takes a lot more ingredients and a lot more time, and these are like mini-versions of the casserole that I usually make. Maybe some time soon I will make that again and share it here.

Happy December!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment