Monday, December 16, 2013

Chicken Taco Stuffed Peppers + Taco Seasoning

Not too long ago, I first attempted to make stuffed peppers. To be honest, they were bland. I didn't think I would try them again, but usually if something doesn't work out well the first time I cook it, I always tweak and retry, because I don't like thinking that I can't cook something well enough. So, tonight I decided to try the stuffed peppers again, this time using a lot more seasoning and flavor, and I had completely different results. I loved these, and I'm so glad I made extra so I can eat one again tomorrow! I paired them with crispy baked Parmesan asparagus and brown rice. And bread for my dad, because no meal in our house can be served without bread.

Chicken Taco Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
  • 5 large bell peppers of any color (I chose green because they were the cheapest)
  • 1 lb ground chicken (you can replace the chicken with turkey or beef if you like)
  • 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (recipe below)
  • 1 small onion/shallot, chopped 
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 (4 oz) container of Athenos Tomato & Basil Feta Cheese
  • sliced/shredded mozzarella (I always use skim mozzarella slices)

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large saucepan or skillet with nonstick spray, and cook the ground chicken (or your meat of choice) with the taco seasoning and chopped onion. When the meat is cooked through and the onions are soft, remove from heat. Put the meat into a bowl an stir in the feta and Parmesan cheeses. Cut the tops off of the peppers, remove the seeds and other inside parts, and place upright on a baking sheet or other nonstick pan. I used an iron skillet sprayed with olive oil nonstick spray. Finally, fill with the meat and cheese mixture.


Bake the peppers for about 25 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the oven, top with mozzarella cheese, and set your oven to broil. I placed mine on the lowest rack, as far away from the fire as possible, and let them broil for 3 minutes, just enough for the tops to turn golden and the cheese to get perfect and gooey.

 

After letting them cool for a few minutes, I devoured one. They were delicious, full of flavor, and healthy. One thing they were not: boring. My biggest struggle when trying to be healthy is finding foods that are flavorful and don't make me feel like I'm sacrificing so much in order to improve my health. 

 

Now for the seasoning!

Homemade Taco Seasoning
In a small bowl, whisk together:
  • 4 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp black pepper
I store this in a small Ziploc bag because I use it pretty quickly after I've made it, but if you don't plan to use it soon or want to make larger amounts, I advise storing it in an airtight container. This seasoning really is what made the peppers so delicious, so I definitely recommend using it, or your favorite taco seasoning if you would rather not fuss with making your own.

Some other random life updates...

I finally found out where I will be placed for student teaching beginning in January, and I will be teaching kindergarten at a wonderful school in Hoover. I go to meet them tomorrow morning, and I can't wait! I hope that once the semester begins I will have time to share some more of my recipes, as well as some classroom activities I'm doing.

I've also been enjoying my free time this break including making these fun gingerbread houses with my fiance, Chad, and some cuties that I babysit.

 

Hopefully next week I'll have some more to share! I'm planning a hot chocolate bar for Christmas Eve, and some other surprise baking is in the near future! 

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment