Monday, March 10, 2014

Whole Wheat Agave Oat Bread - Clean Eating!

Okay, I have so many recipes that I have been wanting to share with you guys lately, but this one has to be shared immediately. It's that good.


I've been eating lots of quick breakfast foods lately (like my Blueberry Banana Bread), and this is the latest quick, clean eating bread to try out. It. Is. Fabulous. This time around, I wanted something a little bit less fruity, that way I could be pretty creative with it if I wanted to be (French toast, PB&J, etc.). So, I found this recipe over at A La Graham, but I didn't want to use oil or honey, so I made a little substitution for those. She gets my award for favorite bread recipe here, for sure. It has the perfect amount of sweetness, but it's very versatile.

Clean Eating Whole Wheat Agave Oat Bread
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 2 Tbsp removed
  • 2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • dash of salt 
  • 8 ounces plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 organic agave nectar
  • 1 cup almond milk

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and lightly spray a loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk/sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another, smaller bowl, whisk together the oats (except the 2 Tbsp you removed), yogurt, egg, applesauce, and agave. Add the milk once the rest is smooth.


Create a well in the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients slowly, stirring to incorporate as you pour. Stir only until incorporated. You don't want to overmix it!


Scrape the thick batter into the loaf pan, and spread the batter evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the 2 Tbsp of oats over the top of the batter, then bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Let the pan cool about 15 minutes on a rack, then remove from the pan, and let it cool for about 45 more minutes.


I couldn't wait. I cut into it after about 15 minutes. And I regret nothing.


This morning, I had it with some chocolate PB2 and sliced strawberries! This afternoon, had some with a drizzle of agave. Both ways were perfect and delicious. The best part is that one of the twelve slices has about 144 calories, and it's filling. So yummy!


Happy healthy baking!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment