Friday, January 3, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Creole Shrimp

I know I said the next recipe I would post would be cauliflower crust pizza, but I decided to use what I had left from this week's spaghetti squash to make something a little fancier for lunch today. I've made spaghetti squash Alfredo before, but I wasn't a huge fan of how the sauce turned out. The most delicious thing about Alfredo sauce is butter and heavy cream. That's kind of what makes it so great, and so fattening. So finding an alternative that works as a fill-in can be really hard. The sauce I came up with today is really good, but I know I will still be tempted to break out my copycat Olive Garden Alfredo recipe in the future.

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Creole Shrimp
  • 1 1/2 cup cooked spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 Tbsp cottage cheese
  • 1 Tbsp cream cheese
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
  • 1 slice low fat skim mozzarella cheese
  • fresh basil
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • about 10 uncooked shrimp
  • Creole seasoning
Preheat your oven to 350. Fill a small, single-serve pan with the cooked spaghetti squash. In a small sauce pan over low heat, put the milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, garlic, and pepper to taste. Stir constantly until the cream cheese has melted. The, add the Parmesan cheese and stir until the sauce has thickened, and then add some of the chopped basil to taste. Pour the sauce over the spaghetti squash and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

While the squash is cooking in the oven, spray a small skillet with olive oil spray, and cook the shrimp with Creole seasoning, to taste.


When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, remove from the oven and turn it up to broil. Place the slice of mozzarella cheese over the top, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and basil, and broil for 3 minutes on the lowest rack of the oven.


Yum! The top of this was perfect. Fill a bowl with the spaghetti squash, top with the spicy shrimp, and enjoy!


This was very filling and really yummy. Like I said, not my usual Alfredo, but a good substitute to kick the craving for the regular stuff!

Happy healthy new year!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment